Friday, November 29, 2013

How Did You Spend Black Friday?

Black Friday is supposed to be the biggest shopping day of the year, at least for some people.

I've never shopped Black Friday, nor do I ever intend to start. I don't have anything against it, but I think that people go crazy over the darndest things.

Over the years, I've noticed that Christmas has become over commercialized, and holidays have turned into spending sprees.

There is no more creative giving, no more giving from the heart, but rather so much emphasis on how cheap you can get something.

If it can't be bought, it's not worth anything, or so it seems. The saddest part of this? There are so many people excluded from this day on the calendar every year. There are those that haven't an extra dime to spend on Christmas gifts due to lost jobs, disability, and even those that just feel they can't even leave the house for fear of being pummeled for the best deal of the day.

Now, I say all of that to say this; I don't disapprove of Black Friday and I don't dislike friends and family that shop on this day. I don't even intend to become an anti-shopping campaigner, or be one of those crazy people that try to boycott it!

However, I do want you, the reader to really think about what is happening today and ask yourself; "Is it really this important?" I find that if I stop and ask myself if something is important ten minutes from now, and my answer is no, that it won't change anytime soon.

Especially when it refers to buying something. Spending just isn't that important in the grander scheme of things. I hope that you feel the same way. It's time to reach out to others, and after all, Thanksgiving is all about being thankful for what we already have.

It seems odd that one day we are thankful for what we have, but the next day we have to have more. We have to accumulate and spend as much as we can. It's quite maddening, isn't it? Where do you stand on Black Friday?

I am not asking you to stop shopping on "Black Friday", or even to discourage others. What I am asking you to do is consider what matters most in your life. Think about those that could use a visit in the hospital on your day off, or how about sitting down to send out cards to those that are ill?

There are so many other ways that we could use our time, rather than seeing how much we can spend on ourselves, or even on Christmas gifts in general. What say you? It's time to be different, and live courageously!

No comments:

Post a Comment