Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What Would You Do if You Had To?

Have you ever experienced a time in your life when you had to do something that you didn't want to do because you had to? If you have children and you were down to either feeding them or not, you may have had that moment of possession where you thought, wow, I have to feed them first.

If you didn't think that, check your pulse. I think most of us would do anything for our children if given the same set of circumstances, wouldn't you agree?

So, what if you knew that a young  woman, with a college degree, with 3 children lost her corporate job and started stripping to provide her kids because she couldn't find work? What would you say to that? Yes, it's a true story, and yes, here is what I know to be true.

Don't Insult Her Intelligence 

Okay, so while waiting to have a meeting with someone, I overhear the conversation about this young woman that became a stripper, and it was so strange because it was a professional looking woman having breakfast with her mom. 

I am always intrigued by what I overhear, because some folks are so open with their dirty laundry while others are just so fake you can't stand it. Know what I mean? 

Anyhow, here is this woman and her mom having breakfast, and she proceeds to tell her mom about this young  woman she is criticizing. 

She says that it's the daughter of a friend of hers, and that she told her she couldn't befriend her anymore because she was so embarrassed by her daughter's actions. She explains everything to her, about how the company closed down and how thousands lost their jobs, even her as an executive. 

She proceeds to brag about how she is so thankful for her job, how she is friends with the board members of this, that, and who knows what. So, if she is, why couldn't she help her get a job in the beginning? Now that this mother of 3 is a stripper to provide for her children, she uses that as a crutch? Oh, and she stated very clearly, "What am I supposed to do she isn't my responsibility?"

Interesting. 

However, she is friends with this person, that person, this so and so, etc. I say, really? Hmmmm. You always have to wonder about people like that don't ya? I know I do. 

She then proceeds to tell her mother that they kicked her out of the church because she is a poor example, and obviously not someone they would want in their church. How sweet! 

So, what is happening now? This young woman no doubt did what she thought she had to do to care for her children right? Why is she being condemned? 

Great question eh? 

So, I hear this, and as I finish my meal, I proceed over to her table and say, "Excuse me, I overheard what you were saying about that young woman with the 3 children. I have a business I am looking to expand and would love to talk with her. See, it's about teaching others that there is a better way, and as you so clearly stated, she isn't your responsibility. I am not ashamed to help others, could I get her phone number or an email address?" 

She did give me a phone number, but it was no good. It was disconnected, and sadly, I hope at some point God leads this young woman to me. She needs a lift, don't you think? 

Don't ever say that someone isn't your responsibility. We are the sheep and God is our Shepherd. We are to be for others what He is to us. It is in those moments where we will fully realize our potential! 

Go and live courageously! 

No comments:

Post a Comment