Monday, January 7, 2013

She Reminds Me of My Grandmother.....

Going to Drug Mart was always eventful, and at time it's even like a wonderland! Well, you know that I mean. Everything is cheaper, so you always feel like you win the lottery, right?

I went in just to get some cat food, and upon checking out, I encountered a cashier that was elderly that had waited on my husband and I before. She had short red hair, but she had facial features that reminded me of my grandmother.

She even spoke softly like her too, without the Southern twang, but perhaps that is why I was drawn to her. She was familiar, in her own way.

She was just walking back to her register when I stepped up to her, and she looked like she had pain, and she was walking with a slight limp. I asked her how she was doing.

"Fine honey", she said in a not so convincing way.

Without even thinking, the words rolled out of my mouth, "You aren't very convincing". She looked at me and shook her head as she looked downward.

She then said, "I have vasculitis, and my legs are killing me. The doctors aren't really helping me, and all they keep doing is giving me more pills. I just feel like I am trapped, and I am getting older." I could hear her struggling to breath a bit.

I looked at her while she still looked down, almost like she felt as though she were a kid in trouble. "What else is the doctor doing for you?", I said.

"Nothing. They ran some bloodwork, and I am waiting for them to call me right now. Here, let me show you what I am talking about." She then pulled up her paint leg to reveal the outcome of a very bad case of vasculitis in which it appeared that her legs were bleeding on the outside. This means it's bad, and she needs help sooner rather than later.

As I slowly uttered, "Oh my," she reached out and grabbed me, and I just held her while she cried. It was so pitiful, and I cried with her. I couldn't even ask if she had family or where they were. I couldn't even go there. So, all I could say was the one thing I knew I could tell her for sure, and that was, "God is the Healer, and what He has made works. Let me bring you some vitamins and natural supplements that will help you with this until we can figure something out".

She just looked up at me and said, "I am so broke, I couldn't pay you anything, my medicines are so expensive".

My heart just sank. "I'll bring them to you, free of charge, really, no worries. How late will you be here?", I said.

"I'm leaving in about an hour, but I'll be back in a few days," she said.

"Okay, I'll be back! Would you like for me to take you to the hospital when you get off of work?" I said.

"No, that is okay, I'll wait to hear from the doctor." We said goodbye and she went back to work as I went on my way home to feed the kitties. I couldn't get her out of my mind, and I didn't want to. People are throw aways in the United States, and in Asia, they respect their elders and care for them.

There is so much wisdom in what they have to teach us. Why is it that we don't treasure our mothers and fathers and our grandparents? Ah, the days are flying by.

Remember, to always sit and listen, because life is too short to not live courageously!

No comments:

Post a Comment